Luke Malahy – Street Inspector Luke Malahy – Street Inspector
Our Cape Girardeau Public Works street inspector Luke Malahy is not only very skilled in his work, but he's also a great person to work with. Thank you for your efforts and attitude, Luke!
The Street Maintenance Division coordinates with the Community Development Department to maintain around 233 miles of streets and 22 miles of alleyways. This is roughly the same distance as a drive to St. Louis and back. General maintenance is done by the Street Division, while new construction and management of the Transportation Trust Fund program are handled by Community Development.
In addition to street repairs, the Street Maintenance Division:
- Removes limb debris from City right-of-way after major storms
- Mows nearly 600 acres of right-of-way several times each year
- Provides weed control around signs, guardrails, and poles
- Removes dead and diseased trees, and trims trees along City streets and alleys
- Operates two mechanical street sweepers
- Provides street inspections for right-of-way/excavation permits
- Evaluates more than 100 miles of street yearly to record pavement conditions
- Maintains and manages database for street pavement conditions
- Provides snow removal and pretreats roadways for winter weather